Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A haunting statistic

For my writing class, we have an assignment.

It's a pretty huge assignment,
But I have been super excited about it.
we have to do a presentation on something that we are passionate about.

You all probably guessed what I'm doing it on....

that's right.
ADOPTION.
of course.
I am mainly focusing on open adoptions.

I have been working on this assignment more than any assignment that I currently have
(probably not the best idea..but this is my favorite class)

However,
I have been overcome with more emotion than I expected I would while working on it.

I am currently sitting here
in the library,
surrounded by a number of books that I found on open adoptions.

I love open adoptions.
I LOVE THEM
It has helped me heal in ways I never thought possible.

But that's not the point of this post.

while researching,
I have came across one particular fact that haunts me to the core
Here it is:


"In the United States, voluntary placement of children as a remedy for unplanned pregnancy has changed since the landmark Roe v Wade Supreme Court decision legalizing abortion. According to the National Center for Health Statistics, prior to the 1970's, approximately 9% of all never-married women (and 19% of white never-married women) experiencing unplanned pregnancies placed their babies for adoption.

BUT,

since the 1973 Supreme Court decision [aka, when abortion became legalized] and because of changing societal attitudes about the legitimacy of single parenthood into the 1980's, fewer than 2% of unplanned pregnancies result in placing the child for adoption.."


that statistic upset me to the point where I had to stop reading and take a break due to the many tears in my eyes and the complete anger and disgust I feel towards abortion.

Lately,
I feel like everywhere I go, I am reminded of what a horrible disgusting thing abortion is.
I'm reminded of those innocent little children that are victims of this horrible selfish act.

Does anyone else find this statistic disturbing???

4 comments:

Adam and Andrea Daveline said...

That is just heartbreaking. I just think of all of the families out there that are wanting these little miracles because they have no way to be able to get them without adoption. There are so many alternatives.

ASRussell said...

That is really SICK!!! I hate that people think that is okay!!! Good luck with your paper!!!

Cory and Becca said...

it is SICKENING! and truly very sad!

Unknown said...

It is sickening, and sad, and so unfair. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. :(