Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Chipmunk Cheeks.

So today I got my wisdom teeth out.

I woke up at the early hour of 6 am
(can I just say I don't remember the last time I woke up that early

My dad drove me to gene brown research,
I was admit into my room.

While I lay there anxiously anticipating this scary surgery, I tried to sleep.
I didn't have any success with that, until they brought me up to the surgery area.

They brought me to a waiting room, that of which I was the only one there, flipped on the movie dumb and dumber, and before I knew it I was asleep...
That is until the nurse walked in and gently told me that It was time.

I lay on the seat and stared up at the surgeon and his assistant.
I think I was quite out of it but I do remember telling them that I was scared to death of this little "procedure" so to be gentle.

As they put the needle towards my mouth to numb it, the pain was SHOCKING. I don't remember numbing shots hurting so bad!
They put the laughing gas mask on me and left the room to work on the other patient.

Alright, let me tell you that I have never felt so much panic in my life as I did at that moment. Isn't laughing gas supposed to relax you???? I swear I started hyperventilating and I just wanted to jump up and run out of that building as fast as I possibly could.


then, all of the sudden my eyes felt really droopy and I felt as if I was floating.
At first I thought I was dead. (well I mostly just hoped for it.. because of all the panic the laughing gas was causing)
then I just felt like I was in a dream.
I didn't even realize I was asleep until the surgeon walked in, tapped my foot and asked me how I was doing.

I don't remember what I said but next thing I know, the nurse was waking me up again.
They both then went towards my mouth.
I became extremely nervous, but my body didn't want to move.

you think the laughing gas was working???

That was when I heard the drill,
and a whole lot of pressure.

AHH!! scary.

He went on to do this to my whole mouth.
Yeah the best part was when I felt a whole bunch of pressure and then some cracking.
talk about freaking out. I didn't WANT to know what the cracking was.

I then was brought back to my room and I tried to watch baby mama, but about a half hour into it I started feeling the pain.

my mouth was propped open with a ton of swabs that were trying to stop the blood, but I could still taste a good amount of it.

I tried to swallow,
gagged everytime.

Then all of the sudden I felt as if I had been punched in the face so hard that my whole jaw was disfigured. I tried to hold back the tears but they wouldn't stop.

wow. embarrassing.

the nurse walked in and he read off a paper
(he did this every single time he came in.)

He told me to mark the level of pain in like 30 different ways on the paper he was holding, but he wouldn't let me mark it until he read every single word on it. He slowly read:

"please rate your pain on a scale of one to ten"
tell me if your pain is,

Mild. (pause)

Moderate. (Pause)

Severe. (pause)........

I was about ready to grab that paper, rip it up, and demand medicine right away before I died.
too bad it wasn't that simple.
It took everything in me to control myself and to be patient while he ever so slowly read to me the words on each paper.

When he was finally done he said:
"Okay, now someone is going to come in and take your vital signs. After that I will bring you some medicine"

I swear he was just testing me to see how long he could go without giving me meds before I killed him.

I layed back down, still trying to stop the tears.
keep in mind I could barely talk due to the swabs jammed up in my mouth.

They took my vitals.
oh and
the nurse was training someone,
so she had them do it, which took twice as long, and then if she messed up she would stop and explain to her what to do differently. I thought I was going to die. I was getting SO mad. just give me the stupid medicine!!

FINALLY he came in with my pills, and then gave me two stop watches.

He told me that I had to push stop on the first watch when I started feeling the pain start to subside, and then to push it on the other when it was bearable.

that was the last thing on my mind.

But I did it, and was quite releived was the pain stopped.

It went like that for pretty much the rest of the time until finally many many MANY hours later, my mom came to my rescue and brought me home.

Now I have chipmunk cheeks and can't eat.
what is so wise about wisdom teeth?????


DAN, LISSA, & CAM said...

Oh man...I hate any kind of dental work...and believe me I've had my fair share(stupid teeth). So I totally felt your pain as I read this post. But don't you worry, it will all be worth it when you see that big wad of cash in your purse!

Good luck, hope you have a speedy recovery with lots of popsicles and Jamba juice(but don't use a straw:))

The Mama said...

Oh my goodness. I don't think that was a nice experience. I hope that you get outta pain. I had all 4 of mine removed at one time. The dr came in and said they were using versed (which is what they use for the date rape drug) he said no worries, a female will be here, lol.

Ashley said...

Ugh I'm sorry Andee! I had my wisdom tooth (yes, I only had one, luckily) out in August. Mine wasn't as bad as yours' I don't think. It hurt when I got home and its such a pain that you can't eat hardly anything! And then once you can eat more, the food gets stuck back there so then you have to wash that out. Gross.
So did you have all 4 out and did you go where they give you money to take them all out? I went to the Utah Center for Oral Surgery and had an Alvin Stosich do mine. They put an IV in me and then I was out in a few seconds. Then they woke me up when it was all finished. So I recommend them to anyone because I didn't have to be awake for it. Ugh. So Sorry. :( Feel better.

Megan said...

oh shi ... is that really what it's like?
I have to get mine out soon. :(

Andee said...

well I went to gene brown research, which is a study place..but they give you money..which means its FREE!! so that's why I did it there :) Luckily I only had three wisdom teeth.

So that's also why they didn't put me out for it. I was awake, and it was SO not pleasant.

Emilee Demie said...

i know how your feeling sense i got mine out a week ago but at least they took them all out at once and you didnt have to go back twice and go threw that ridiculous pain twice!!! oh and i might add that at least they didnt start drilling before you were numb! haha well hope you get feeling beter